In this free tutorial we’ll show you step-by-step how to sew a personalized dog bandana for your furry little friend. This fashionable dog accessory will fit any small breed like a Chihuahua or Pomeranian. However, you can adjust the size so that it fits your 4-legged friend by measuring the circumference of your dog’s neck.
The size of the finished personalized dog bandana: 39 cm x 11 cm
What size do you want your dog bandana to be?
If you want to sew a DIY dog bandana, you can use our instructions to customize a size for any dog - no dog bandana pattern needed. Just increase the fabric measurements according to the circumference of your dog’s neck. The sizing for smaller dogs range from about 20.5 cm to about 45 cm. Medium dogs measure from about 30 cm to 50 cm and larger dogs about 40.5 cm to 54 cm.
What fabric is the best for a DIY dog bandana?
The best fabric for a dog bandana is cotton or jersey.
- 2 x cotton fabric measuring 42 x 16 cm
- 1 x fleece 42 x 16 cm
- 1 x snap out of metal or plastic
- 1 x personalized label with your pet’s name
Sew a ‘personalized dog bandana’ tutorial
You can sew a sweet DIY dog bandana without a pattern. Just measure and cut out your fabric to get started.
1. Measure and cut out 2 pieces of your chosen fabric with the dimensions: 42 x 16 cm. Prepare 1 piece of fleece with the same dimensions. Using a piece of fleece for this project is a good idea.
2. We used a plastic snap for our dog bandana, but a metal snap will work just as well.
3. Stack all three pieces of fabric together and measure 5 cm down from the top corners (the left and right sides).
4. Find the middle point along the bottom edge of the fabric - a ruler is helpful for this step! Then using a straight edge, connect the points you’ve measured.
5. Pin the fleece to the back of one cotton fabric piece with straight pins.
6. Sew the 2 pieces together, sewing close to the edge, using a 2.5 stitch length.
7. This is how the stitching should look on the fleece side.
8. Place the 2 pieces of outer fabric, right sides together and pin them together. Mark a turning opening along one of the slanted sides (about 7 cm wide).
9. Using a 1 cm seam allowance, starting at the turn opening and sew around the bandana, pivoting on the needle at the turn points.
10. Trim the fabric close to the seam around the bandana, but don’t cut the fabric at the turn opening.
11. Turn the bandana right side out using the opening.
12. Fold the extra fabric at the opening inward and stitch it together by hand.
13. Measure 1.5 cm down and in on each end and make a small opening for the snap. Attach the snap - to make it easy, pay attention to if you are right or left handed and attach the snap accordingly.
14. Fold the longest straight edge of the bandana forward and secure with a straight pin. Secure the fold in place with a few hand stitches.
15. Now you can embellish your dog bandana with a lucky charm if you’d like!
16. To finish up your dog bandana and add your pet’s name, you can create a personalized woven label with text and symbol to sew on or iron on. If you have your own unique logo, then you can create your own logo label for your personalized dog bandana. You can even upload your favorite photo to have a photo label printed of your furry best friend.
Have fun sewing!
Do You want to save this idea for later?
Simply bookmark the link to this blog post or add it to your "Favorites" so that you can quickly find it in your browser later.
Here is how to save the tutorial:
- On your computer: Click on the asterisk or the three dots in the top right hand corner or on the book icon in the top left hand corner (depending on the browser you use).
- On your Android smartphone: Click on the three dots in the top right hand corner and then on the asterisk.
- On your iPhone: Click the book icon at the bottom and add the link to your bookmarks or book list.