A sewing machine can be a considerable initial investment, but it is worth it for garments or other items that require precise and consistent finishing. Even beginners can achieve professional results with one of the best rated sewing machines of 2023!
What should I consider when buying a sewing machine?
We recommend a free arm sewing machine, which makes it easier to work on sleeves and trouser legs. But the first priority for any machine is user-friendliness and a sufficient selection of stitch types (at least zigzag, buttonhole, straight, backstitch as a basis). A top feed foot is also an advantage, especially for beginners. Other additional presser feet should also be included (e.g. a foot for sewing zips). And of course, basic accessories should not be missing: These include spare needles, machine oil, a ripper and a screwdriver.
Depending on where the sewing machine is to be used and whether it needs to be transported frequently, the noise level and ease of transport should also be considered. (For small repairs at home or on the go, a professional machine is not worth it: a small hand sewing machine is enough for that!)
In this blog post you will find information on the best rated sewing machines of 2023 to help you choose the right machine for your needs.
What Is the Best Sewing Machine of 2023?
We have chosen three sewing machines: Two from the world famous brand Singer and one from the equally well-known brand Brother With so many different models on the market, it was a challenge to choose just three! The test winners: the BROTHER Innov-is F400, the SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 and the SINGER 4423.
The following chart gives a quick overview of the features of each machine:
1. Brother Innov-is F400
The BROTHER Innov is F400 offers perfect stitch quality thanks to the rectangular feed system. Particularly noteworthy are the even straight stitch and the neat buttonholes. The sewing machine has many useful functions that make sewing easier, e.g. adjustment options via the keypad on the sewing machine.
Of the 3 best rated, the BROTHER Innov-is F400 has the largest stitch selection and various presser feet are included. Thick fabrics can be worked particularly well with this machine.
Suitable for beginners (easy to operate) as well as for professionals (fast
Advantages of the Brother Innov is F400
- Stitch Length: 5 mm
- Stitch Width: 7 mm
- 40 stitch programmes → straight stitch, zigzag stitch, super stretch stitch, overlock stitch, triple stitch, buttonhole, decorative stitches
- 6 buttonhole variations
- Automatic thread cutter
- Automatic needle threader
- Rectangular feed mechanism
- Stitch selection directly from the keypad
- Easy transport due to the included carrying case
- Easy to operate with LED display and sensor buttons
- Can be set to stop the needle above or below the fabric
- 15 different needle positions
- Adjustable thread control and presser foot pressure
- Good light from LED illumination
- Many quality accessories included
Disadvantages of the Brother Innov is F400
- No top fabric feed (i.e. the fabric is only fed from below, and not from above at the same time).
- Not the cheapest option
- Slightly heavier than other models
2. Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
In second place is the SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 computerized sewing machine with a practical graphic display. It has user-friendly direct selection buttons and a stitch memory with 60 memory spaces. Thanks to the practical features (integrated threader, snap-on sewing feet, bobbin insertion from the top and much more), the machine is quick and easy to set up and start working.
The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 is also suitable for both beginners and professionals. And it is especially good for quilting and topstitching! A neat and practical detail: the stitch overview in the lid, which makes it easy to choose the type of stitch.
Advantages of the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
- Stitch Length: 4 mm
- Stitch Width: 5 mm
- Easy to operate
- Low noise
- 25 needle positions
- 600 stitch patterns
- 13 buttonhole programmes
- Start/stop button without having to use the foot pedal
- Automatic thread cutter
- Quick threading system
- 33 programmes
- Stitch types: piping stitch, blindstitch, elastic stitch, straight stitch, utility stitch, sewing alphabet, overlock stitch, zigzag stitch, decorative stitch, elastic blindstitch
- LCD display
- Many accessories included
Disadvantages of the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
- Does not work well with cheap yarn / thread
3. Singer 4423
And last but not least, the excellent Singer 4423 standard sewing machine: User-friendly, affordable and also good for beginners and novices. All the necessary parts (including a selection of different presser feet, tools, and a handy quilting guide) are included. It has all the essential functions and accessories you need for basic and decorative sewing. This heavy duty machine is able to handle a wide range of fabrics from silk to denim. A real all-rounder at a low price!
Advantages of the Singer 4423
- Stitch length: 4 mm
- Stitch width: 6 mm
- High speed sewing
- Excellent value for money
- Easy comfortable operation
- Heavy duty machine
- Threading aid
- Supplied with a wide range of accessories
- Automatic buttonhole stitch
- Good for heavier fabrics and quilting
- Integrated carrying handle
Disadvantages of the Singer 4423
- Less built-in stitches
- Potentially too basic for professionals
Which top rated sewing machine will you choose? If you need some inspiration or are looking for new sewing projects, check out the Wunderlabel Creative Blog! And in our shop you'll find a great selection of personalized labels to finish off your creations.
Don't miss these blog posts from Wunderlabel:
Premium Clothing Labels for Your Products
One Size - More than a Clothing Size